DNA Genetic Test Kit: Black Friday Deals
Which DNA Test Should I Buy During Black Friday?
Should you purchase a DNA kit now or wait for Black Friday Deals?
Read on to know if you should buy now or wait until Black Friday or later.
The legendary triplet deal days Thanksgiving-Black Friday-Cyber Monday are around the corner. Black Friday deals are awaited eagerly by the consumer genetic testing community and this year the anticipation is predicted to reach a feverish pitch given the extraordinary numbers Ancestry DNA recorded last year- 1.5 million DNA kits sold in 5 days!
Here is the best way to sift through all the Black Friday offers on the DNA Testing kits. This can be especially useful if you are trying to purchase a DNA test kit for your friends/family as a gift or for yourself.
Which are the Best DNA Testing Companies?
While DNA testing sounds exciting, it is equally important that you are not emptying your wallets on disreputable companies or not getting exactly what you wanted. You want genetic test results that will help you in your genealogy research, find your family or get insights about your health. Here is a list of some of the best genetic testing companies that have been in existence that we recommend. This list was aggregated based on popularity and how frequently they announce deals on important days:
- 23andMe: Save $30 on 23andMe Ancestry Service test kit; Save $100 on 2 or more Ancestry Service + Health test kits
- Ancestry DNA: Just $54.99 on Amazon with FREE SHIPPING
- Ancestry DNA: $59 Ancestry DNA test kit
- Ancestry DNA Canada: $79 CAD Ancestry DNA test kit
- Family Tree DNA: $49 Family Finder DNA test plus REDUCED SHIPPING
- My Heritage DNA: $49 DNA test kit – CLICK
- Living DNA: $89 3-in-1 DNA test kit
All the companies mentioned above have been active in the genetic testing industry for 10 years or more. They work with genealogy communities and offer the necessary tools and reports to enrich the current knowledge in both ancestry and health avenues.
A WORD OF CAUTION: A basic autosomal DNA test should not cost more than $99. If any company is charging you more than that, do not buy from them. Do not buy from companies that charge you to download your raw data. Your raw data is your genetic information. You are the owner and should not have to pay to download or request it.
When Should you buy the DNA Kit? Before Black Friday, on Black Friday, or After Black Friday?
This year (2018) Black Friday is on November 23rd and Cyber Monday is on November 26th. The shopping season typically starts on Thanksgiving, November 22nd and runs through Christmas and continues until New Year. This also includes many sale days like Christmas Eve sales, Boxing Day sales etc. This article will be updated regularly as and when companies announce their discounts so bookmark this page if you want to avoid hopping across websites.
Here Are Our Recommendations On When To Buy Your DNA Test Kit
Let’s take a look at some of the offers for Black Friday last year:
- Get your Ancestry DNA kit during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. Last year on these days the price of the DNA kit was just $59 which is a 40% discount. Ancestry DNA is a best selling DNA kit and one of the oldest and well established genetic genealogy companies in existence. Click here <aff link> to buy your Ancestry DNA kit now.
- Free shipping was offered to Amazon Prime members last year. If you have Amazon Prime membership then you must certainly consider buying your kit from Amazon. It might be a better deal to use Amazon since you can even get FREE ONE DAY SHIPPING in some areas. Click here to buy on Amazon for FREE shipping.
- Family Tree DNA slashed their Family Finder price to just $49 last year. However the disadvantage of this is that it covers only autosomal DNA markers. If you are trying to get information on your haplogroup you would have to buy their Y-DNA and Mt-DNA test separately. If that does not matter, then buy the Family Finder. Good news is that the Y-DNA and Mt-DNA sale continued until New Year in the last season. If that repeats this year you can buy these additional tests at your leisure. The sale continued until Cyber Monday last year. We are highly anticipating the FTDNA sales for this year. Click HERE to purchase Family Tree DNA genetic test kit.
- The best time to purchase the 23andMe DNA kit is during the Black Friday weekend. Last season 23andMe’s Ancestry Service test kit, a basic autosomal test was only $69. The Ancestry Service and Health test kit was $99 on the 23andMe website (Catch: You must purchase 2 or more kits for this price). Again, there was FREE SHIPPING option for Amazon Prime members. Further, price for 23andMe Ancestry Service + Health test kit was only $129! The sale extended until Cyber Monday which fell on November 27th last year. Click <HERE> to get your DNA kit via 23andMe website. And click <HERE> to purchase via Amazon.
- If you are interested in the DNA kit from MyHeritage DNA then the Black Firday/Cyber Monday is the best time to grab your kit. Last year the My Heritage DNA test kit was priced at just $49 during that weekend. Moreover they offered FREE EXPEDITED SHIPPING if you purchased 3 or more test kits; and FREE REGULAR SHIPPING if you purchased 2 or more kits. Click <HERE> to purchase MyHeritage DNA test kit.
Which is the Best DNA Test Kit to Purchase during Black Friday?
The use of DNA testing has expanded significantly from just ancestry analysis to a variety of other purposes such as health and wellness reports. Which kit is better for you, depends upon your requirements. There are many factors to consider before you can pick the service that is right for you. Below is our recommended strategy depending on needs of consumers:
- If you are interested in family history and want to build your family tree then Ancestry DNA is your place. They have more than 6 million people within their community to match your DNA with. Moreover Ancestry DNA is the best selling DNA kit. You can download your DNA raw data from their website for free and use it on multiple other websites to get health and wellness insights.
- FTDNA really is the only vendor that sells separate tests for autosomal DNA, Y chromosome and Mt-DNA . Be clear in your requirements while placing the order! The Y-DNA tests like Y-37, Y-67 and Y-111 are intended ONLY for male subjects. This test would be useless if you carry two X chromosomes (females).
- Did you know that Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage DNA use the same lab to perform their DNA tests? Both companies were priced at $49 during the sale weekend and their processing times are comparable. Confused as to which one to choose? Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage DNA provide basic matching services to DNA testers. To get extra features like Chromosome Browser, MyOrigins, and AncientOrigins on Family Tree DNA, you would have to pay an additional $19. This also holds true if you want to upload your raw data from another company. However, MyHeritage DNA allows free upload of outside DNA test results. Also MyHeritage is a better choice if know that your ethnic background is mostly European since their users are based from there. You will most likely find a match from My Heritage DNA.
If you are planning on getting the DNA test for an older relative, go for a swab test and not a spit test. This means Ancestry DNA and 23andMe are off your list. Older people have complained often that they have trouble producing enough saliva for a good quality DNA extraction. Family Tree DNA and MyHeritage DNA collect two swab samples one of which is kept for future use.
- If you have predominantly British ancestry then there is no place better than Living DNA. Last year Living DNA’s DNA kits were on just $89 USD and £89 GBP. Living DNA is the only DNA testing company to show a detailed breakdown of British heritage. NOTE: Living DNA’s “matching” service is yet to go live. Click <HERE> to purchase Living DNA (US) and click <HERE> to purchase Living DNA (UK).
- If you are planning on getting DNA kits for your whole family, then My Heritage DNA is the best option for bulk purchases. When you purchase two or more kits, the price is only $49 for each. MyHeritage was $49 with a free shipping incentive last year. If you purchase three or more MyHeritage DNA tests, there is FREE EXPEDITED SHIPPING on the entire order.
Buying a DNA test is not the same as buying a T-shirt. It is important to have clear goals and expectations, so that you can make the most use of your investment for genealogy research, finding your family or for health insights.
For the latest deals and coupons be sure to stay tuned to DNA Test Reviews. We will help you make the right DNA test choice.